Too many pesticides are making us sick

Pesticides are chemicals designed to be toxic. They are used to combat and control weeds, mould, insects or animals such as mice. However, in many cases their toxic nature can be harmful to our health and the environment.

Pesticides are used in all sorts of places and products. Everywhere we go, we are exposed to pesticides; from the parks and gardens we play in, to the food we eat, the clothes we wear. Residues from pesticides can be found in our drinking water, our food, the air we breathe, and even in our bodies .

Scientific evidence increasingly shows links between pesticide use, people’s exposure and ill-health. Children, pregnant women or other vulnerable groups such as the elderly are more sensitive to possible harmful effects of pesticides - see our resources section. Scientists recommend that changes are needed to protect these groups.

A growing concern is the use of pesticides in schools. Our recent survey of English, Welsh and Scottish school authorities revealed that children may be exposed to at least four potentially cancer causing pesticides that are being used in UK schools. Read more here...

Sick of Pesticides is a Europe-wide campaign to raise awareness of the links between pesticides and ill health, and to mobilise collective action for change. Currently we have campaigns running in the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Hungary and the Netherlands.